When it rains it pours (2)

Last Tuesday was a busy day. Judah and I were still in Kingsport helping Cara. She had a follow-up appointment with her surgeon in Knoxville. We all piled into Cara’s van (Cara and her 3 kids, Judah and me) and drove to my house where Mumzy (our Mom) was waiting to take care of all the kiddos while we were at the Dr. We made great time and dropped the kids in time to get lunch before hand.

Cara’s appointment went great and the Dr said everything looked good. It was quick and easy. We swung by the house and got Cara’s kids, leaving Judah at home with Matthew so he could go to school Wednesday, and got on the road to go back to Kingsport.

Everything went great Tuesday night–in Kingsport. I got the boys ready for bed, Billy read them a story and then we put them to bed. Cara, Billy and I got to hang out for a bit and then went to bed. The next morning, Matthew texted me during my quiet time to see if “I had a second to talk”. This is never a good sign. I called. Judah had spiked a fever last night and after careful thought and testing out of a hypothesis, he decided not to take him to the ER. Judah is fine. His fever and headache behaved the way they always had in the past. The protocol is to take Judah to the ER for a fever over 100.3 because of the port. We knew it wasn’t something like a blood infection, but as his Drs have said, there is no way to KNOW from home. Taking Judah to the ER every week in the middle of the night is not feasible. We need a different solution.

I got home Wednesday in time for dinner and enjoyed time with my kiddos. I was really glad to be home. The rest of the week went on like usual. Then, Saturday night at 3AM, Judah stumbles into our room. His head is killing him and he is running a fever–again. I got up with him, took him downstairs, took his temperature and heart rate, and tried to figure out what to do. Fever was 102.5, heart rate was between 145-155. This was obviously a ‘take him to the ER’ thing. And yet, I waited. I gave him a pain med that does NOT help with fever, to help with his headache and arm/leg pain and decided to wait 30 minutes to see how he was doing. That 30 minutes crept by and when it was finally time to reck him, his fever and heart rate were no better so I got him in the car.

At the ER they took him temperature and it had come down to 101.7 but that is still too high for Judah to have. They accessed his port, took a blood culture and cbc and started a round of antibiotics. After 1.5 hrs, his cbc came back relatively normal for a kid on chemo and he was discharged with orders to talk to our Oncologist Thursday. We were home by 6:30AM and though I was exhausted, Judah had gotten his second wind and the other 2 kiddos were awake. As you can imagine Sunday was a LONG day. Judah was not particularly nice but would you bet if you’d gotten up at 3AM?

Our prayer is that someone finds out what’s causing he headaches and fever so we can stop them. And also, selfishly, that Matthew and I can find ways to talk to Judah, patiently and with love, when he is spewing meanness at everyone around him.

Chemo is Thursday.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *